Detailed Snowfall Forecast

8651 reads link

By Quincy Vagell on November 26, 2012, 6:35pm Last modified: November 27, 2012, 8:09pm

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories.

Previous 1 of 2 Next

Light snow accumulations are expected across Connecticut on Tuesday.


Periods of light snow and snow showers are expected to move into the state Tuesday morning. The snow will start first across western Connecticut between 5 and 9 a.m. The snow will move east and will reach eastern sections before noon.
The snow may mix with a bit of rain along the I-95 corridor.
There may be a break in the action in the afternoon and the snow should come to an end in northwestern Connecticut by the evening rush hour.
Periods of light snow will continue for eastern Connecticut into the evening hours.

Morning rush from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Light snow may be falling during this time period, especially across western portions of the state. Although the snow should be light, a few locations could experience some slick spots, so keep that in mind.
Afternoon rush from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Steady snow is forecast to be falling across the southern half of the state. By this time, snow may be accumulating on some of the road ways. Once the sun goes down, temperatures are expected to fall and travel could become more tricky. 

Total snowfall:
As previously forecast, MOST of the state should expect less than 2 inches of snow. Most areas are expected to have an accumulation, but lower totals will be realized right near the Massachusetts border. Here, although it will be cooler, there is expected to be less moisture. Along the immediate shoreline, temperatures above freezing will make it harder for snow to accumulate. A few locations across interior southern Connecticut could pick up slightly more than 2 inches, but not much more than that is expected.

Comparing this storm to November 7-8:
Although the forecast sounds eerily similar to the autumn nor'easter for the coast, there are some key differences here. The snow is expected to be lighter in intensity, so even if a town like North Haven, for example, stays all snow, there will simply not be enough moisture for major snowfall totals.

The wildcard:
As the storm moves southeast of Connecticut, a deformation "band" of snow is expected to throw moisture back into portions of the area. If this band sets up over southern/southeastern Connecticut, there could be more totals in the 2 to 4 inch range. This is not LIKELY, but it is possible. For right now, the forecast includes localized 2"+ totals across interior southern Connecticut. The forecast confidence is at 80%. The remaining 20% goes to the potential for slightly lower or slightly higher amounts.

The next (and final) slide includes an animated "radar" loop of what to expect.

Share

comments powered by Disqus

Quincy Vagell

Town: Naugatuck, CT  

Reporting for WXedge since January 2012.

Articles: 1306

Quincy Vagell's Bio

Become a WXedge become a contributor

Let Your Voice Be Heard

Have a question? A comment? A complaint? Connecticut's Weather Experts are here for you. Our team is here to service your every need. Go ahead, let them have it.